This August Bank Holiday, come to the South Devon Railway for a feast of steam and diesel trains – and our famous beer and cider festival too!
We’ll be running trains all day with departures from each end of the line (Buckfastleigh and Totnes) at frequent intervals throughout the day.
At Buckfastleigh, our London Transport Routemaster bus will be running trips to Buckfast Abbey and along to Ashburton, the original terminus of our line, the garden railway and all our usual attractions, from the museum to the gardens and gift shop, will be open.
At Staverton, our midway point on the line, the beer and cider festival will be in full swing from 11.0am until late (6pm on Monday), offering a great selection of different ales, craft beers and ciders to enjoy from Devon Diesel Society’s award-winning bar.
In addition, there will be:
– a barbecue on Friday & Saturday evening
– buffet car serving a variety of hot and cold foods and soft drinks
– a ‘just for fun’ quiz on Sunday evening.
Check out the timetables
We are pleased to say L92 is back in traffic as of today, so the normal two-steam train service will run tomorrow.
Thank you to everyone who has worked hard to bring L92 back into use.
Good luck to the England football team tomorrow as they play against Croatia in the World Cup semi-final.
And guess what, if they win – SO DO YOU!
If the England team beat Croatia tomorrow and make it to the World Cup final :
– All children visiting the SDR on Saturday 14 July showing their support for the Final the following day by wearing any THREE LIONS insignia clothing can travel for THREE POUNDS! Shirt, hat, socks, shoes, scarf, shorts – anything with three lions on it counts, whether official or home made, just show your support at the booking office and travel for £3, provided England make it through tomorrow!
– PLUS….. for Dads….. the best Gareth Southgate lookalikes on Saturday 14 July, as judged by our talent scouts on the day, will receive a free family ticket for their next visit! Waistcoats, ties and beards at the ready! (Mums and children are welcome to take part too!)
Note, children must be accompanied by a fare-paying adult and are age 3-15. Under 3s travel free.