The SDR is mainly operated by volunteers but does have a small number of paid staff.
We have one current vacancy.
ENGINEERING WORKSHOP MANAGER
Due to impending retirement, a vacancy exists for the position of Engineering Workshop Manager for the South Devon Railway’s engineering department.
The South Devon Railway is one of the UK’s longest established heritage railways and over the last two decades has invested heavily in its engineering business. This provides engineering services for heritage railways, locomotive owners and main line train operating companies as well as our home fleet.
This role involves responsibility for the management of a busy locomotive maintenance programme, a wheel, tyre fitting and profiling service together with a boiler shop. The workshop works for external commercial customers and undertakes internal contracts.
- Lead a team of 20 people ensuring they meet the performance goals of the business
- Approve and monitor budget expenditures for maximum ROI
- Identify and develop profitable new business opportunities
- Develop close working relationships with colleagues throughout the railway’s business and within both the heritage railway industry and commercial train operating companies
- Maintain and elevate the company’s reputation by ensuring that the quality of work produced by the workshop is of a consistently high standard, in line with customer and regulatory requirements.
At the end of your first year, success would mean growing the business both in volume and in profitability whilst keeping internal work on target to an agreed timeline.
Applicants should possess demonstrable practical skills aligned to the engineering industry, particularly in the railway and heritage sectors with an identifiable track record in management.
To apply, please send your CV to:
Vernon Coon, South Devon Railway Limited, The Station, Buckfastleigh, Devon TQ11 0DZ by post or email.
There are also always vacancies for volunteers!