Our Behind the Scenes weekend on September 10th and 11th, which is part of the nationwide Heritage Open Days event, offers a fantastic opportunity to see what goes on to keep our railway running; a fascinating day out for anyone with an interest in railways and engineering or those who just like to know how things work!
Our recruitment stand will also be out, so if you like what you see then why not join us? Our friendly volunteers will be on hand to answer any questions you may have.
What you can see
Below are some examples of what you can usually see at our Behind the Scenes events.
- Our extensive and well-equipped workshops at Buckfastleigh where steam engine boilers are rebuilt and repaired. You can get up close and see our the huge machinery required to maintain railway vehicles including our boiler presses and wheel turning lathes.
- Our carriage workshop where you can find out how we repair and maintain our carriages.
Viewing of our engineering and carriage workshops is by organised tours; tour start times and booking information will be published nearer the event date.
- Explore our engine shed where we prepare our locomotives for their day’s work and perform general maintenance. If you’re lucky, you might also find tea and cakes!
- Our miniature railway, which winds its way through our gardens at Buckfastleigh, is normally running, if the weather allows. There are also tours of the miniature engine shed too.
- The original Buckfastleigh Signal box is open for you to have a go at pulling levers.
- At Totnes Riverside Station, meet some of the dedicated team of volunteers who keep our stations and goods wagons in authentic BR(W) and GWR condition.
As well as the above, our vintage will be running with trips to Ashburton (the original terminus of our line) and nearby Buckfast Abbey and our refreshment rooms and shop will be open.
(All subject to availability).