Behind the Scenes
Our Behind the Scenes weekend offers a fantastic opportunity to see what goes on to keep our railway running; a fascinating day out for anyone with an interest in railways and engineering or those who just like to know how things work!
Our recruitment stand will also be out, so if you like what you see then why not join us? Our friendly volunteers will be on hand to answer any questions you may have.
What you can see
Below are some examples of what you can usually see but, each of our Behind the Scenes events are slightly different so it is best to check in the updates at the bottom of this page for the exact details of the event you are attending.
- Our extensive and well-equipped workshops at Buckfastleigh where steam engine boilers are rebuilt and repaired. You can get up close and see our the huge machinery required to maintain railway vehicles including our boiler presses and wheel turning lathes.
- Our carriage workshop where you can find out how we repair and maintain our carriages.
Viewing of our engineering and carriage workshops is by organised tours; tour start times and booking information can be found on the event details page in the links at the bottom of this page.
- Explore our engine shed where we prepare our locomotives for their days work and perform general maintenance. If your lucky you might also find tea and cakes!
- Our miniature railway, which winds its’ way through our gardens at Buckfastleigh, is normally running; if the weather allows. There are also tours of the miniature engine shed too.
- The original Buckfastleigh Signal box is usually open for you to have a go at pulling levers.
- Our Totnes Riverside Station, meet some of the dedicated team of volunteers who keep our stations and goods wagons in authentic BR(W) and GWR condition.
As well as the above our vintage bus is usually running with trips to Ashburton (the original terminus of our line) and nearby Buckfast Abbey and our refreshment rooms and shop will be open.