The last BR(W) passenger train ran between Ashburton and Totnes and back on the first Saturday in November in 1958.
To mark this 60th anniversary we’re running a special steam hauled service this year on Saturday 3rd November 2018 leaving Buckfastleigh at 1958hrs (7:58pm) and returning from Totnes at the same time as the last train did 60 years ago. It’ll arrive in Buckfastleigh at 9:21pm.
Tickets are on sale now through our website at the usual return fare of £15. Simply select Sat November 3rd as your travel date. If you’re visiting us earlier in the day and want to make multiple trips you’ll need a Rover Ticket for our November Diesel Gala.
The railway museum will be open from 6:30pm.
We look forward to seeing you there.
We are delighted to announce that there will be overnight running on Saturday 6 into Sunday 7 April 2019 as part of the Golden Anniversary Steam Gala!
Steam will operate between Buckfastleigh at Totnes continuously from 10am on Saturday until 6pm on Sunday.
As part of this there will be some good opportunities for night-time photography on the line (from public areas) and also on the shed, where, in the evening, supervised groups of photographers will be able to take photos of the engines from within the yard and running shed area. More details of this will be announced later.
Food will be available overnight to keep everyone’s energy up, and ticket options to allow visitors from either the day before or the day after to take part in the overnight trains are detailed below.
2019 Golden Anniversary Tickets
Direct link to Overnight Tickets page
More details of the 2019 Golden Anniversary Steam Gala
- Saturday (6 April) rover tickets are valid until 7pm on Saturday 6 April.
- Sunday (7 April) rover tickets are valid from 7am Sunday 7 April.
- Passengers wishing to ONLY travel on the overnight trains, from 7pm Saturday 6 April to 8am Sunday 7 April, may purchase an ‘overnight only’ ticket for £15.
- A discount for holders of Saturday tickets, who may extend their ticket to be valid until 8am Sunday 7 April, by purchasing an ‘overnight supplement’ for a reduced rate of £7.50. (Please show BOTH your Saturday ticket and your overnight supplement to the ticket inspector.)
- A discount for holders of Saturday tickets, who may extend their ticket to be valid from 7pm Saturday 6 April, by adding an ‘overnight supplement’ for a reduced rate of £7.50. (Please show BOTH your Sunday ticket and your overnight supplement to the ticket inspector.)
- Passengers with a Saturday rover ticket AND a Sunday rover ticket (ie a two-day rover, or two one-day rovers, etc) may travel overnight at no extra cost, ie, from the start of the service on Saturday to the end of the service on Sunday. (Please show BOTH your Saturday and Sunday tickets to the ticket inspector.)