Peckett 0-4-0ST No 1 Ashley
Ashley was built by Peckett & Sons of Bristol in 1942, works number 2031, for Exeter Gas Works, where he spent his whole working life, one of two engines there.
He still bears the number 1 from his days there as well as his distinctive blue livery.
Ashley comes from a long line of industrial shunters which saw service all over the country and beyond. Withdrawn in September 1969, he was purchased by the South Devon Railway Association and brought, initially, to Ashburton for restoration when the original northern terminus of the line was still rail connected. He steamed for the first time in preservation on 12th March 1973.
The name Ashley was given to the locomotive in memory of Ashley Burgess, a great character and much loved man who was the railway's first permanent way inspector in the early days of preservation.
Ashley is currently in the museum at Buckfastleigh.